CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 12, 2009

My List

I was having a little bit of a breakdown the other day and happened to be on the phone with a friend on whom I unloaded my stress and anxiety about living with my mother forever, being poor (not in spirit, but the bad kind of poor), raising kids who worry about money the same way I always did, being stuck in the waiting place, and on and on. I am grateful that she comforted me through a few things, and bashful that my brave face cracks so easily.

Anyway, she suggested that I pray about what Heavenly Father might have me do as I wait for our situation to become more permanent. What a concept. Pray? For something specific that I need? Instead of freaking out and wishing we had sent me to law school instead of Dirk? Kidding, there, I promise.

So, here it is, and I am adding to it all the time, since my prayers have not been what they should lately and I am trying to humble myself:

My List of Things To Do While I Wait for My Life to Get Going Again
(If reading this makes you relieved that you are not in my situation, please keep that to yourself. I'm fragile just now.)

Learn Spanish (inspired by my time in the Mother's Lounge on Sunday during the Spanish sacrament meeting and understanding more than I would have thought I would)

Figure out how to start my own property management company and make a plan and a timeline to do so.

Make some efforts at missionary contacts.

Work on Family History (My mom gave us all assignments for the next family reunion).

Learn how to edit my own photos so that I don't have to always ask Dirk to do it.

Work on my menus-by-season for the year.

Read a book about the French Revolution.

Budget.

Draw up some plans for our kitchen remodel for our townhouse in Ellicott City.

Organize my mom's food storage.

Okay, that's it for now. I am also going to go ahead and sign my girl up for dance class because she wants to so much and because the city has really cheap classes and because she needs something of her own outside of the house and because Dirk's security clearance may take another six weeks to process anyway.

He has been offered a job in D.C. that he wants, but is pending his security clearance renewal and meantime he is working on getting an idea of his own off the ground. It's all very exciting and I need and want to suck it up and be patient and all that good stuff (I just replaced another word with "good stuff" -- am really working this evening on my attitude).

12 comments:

Wilson Family said...

I know it sucks when people tell you they know how you feel, BUT...been there, and we're still there. You've inspired me to write down my own list of things to do while we wait and I will do that today :). I really do know that Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us as individuals and as a family. I really hope you come out to D.C. It would be so much fun. Hang in there, my friend.

AngiDe said...

Oh what a rough time you and your family must be going through.... like Cynthia said: hang in there.

I do like that you have decided to learn spanish and read french revo. book??? hmmm.... I'll leave that one to you ;)

xo

Cara said...

The Scarlet Pimpernel, not actually about the French Revolution per se but takes place during! And it is delightful reading!

The Hardy's said...

Scarlet Pimpernel...it's a really GREAT movie, too.

Hang in there. I'm just glad you're where you are right now because I've really enjoyed having you in our ward and getting to know you and your cute little family.

Let's get together and learn the digital picture editing together. I need to learn a few tricks myself.

Camille said...

I hope you come to DC!! That would be so much fun. Have you read A Tale Of Two Cities? One of my very favorite books ever. If you haven't read it - definitely do. Maybe I will make my own list tonight . . . thanks for the great idea.

Naomi said...

Yes! I am reading ATOTC right now; that is what inspired me to want to read another one. It was serious work to get into, but round about page 100, I was hooked and carry it with me wherever I go . . . like from the bedroom to the kitchen to the car, etc. I am remembering just how much Dickens seems to love to write. His language is so elegant and so worth the effort. Right now, Darnay is in prison in Paris and I really thought Defarge was going to help him . . . I am really into it.

Jenni said...

Ooh, I love A Tale of Two Cities. One of my very favorites. Ellicott City? As in Maryland? We're about 20-30 minutes from Ellicott City. It would be fun to see you guys out here!

Bennett Family said...

I have the recipe you need for cornbread:
1 cup melted margarine 1 1/3 c sugar
Add sugar to margarine to cool down then add:
4 eggs, 2 c flour, 2 c cornbread,
2 c buttermilk with 1tsp baking soda,
1 tsp salt
Bake 350 in a glass 9x13 pan for 30 minutes.
I usually cook it for 42 minutes.

Christina said...

I like your list idea and that you are trying to better yourself by learning new things and reading good books while life is crazy around you. I'm sorry things are in limbo right now but hopefully it will be over soon and you'll be able to look back at this time and laugh!

Tiffany said...

You are amazing and will get through this with flying colors. YOU JUST HAD A BABY----you have to give yourself a break! Love you! "Fight On Chica!"

Amber said...

You make me happy. That's not to say that you having hard stuff makes me happy. I just love to watch the way you approach things. Inspirational and stuff :-)

And yes, I need to call you back...

Amy E. said...

I agree with Amber. Yes, you are inspirational the way you deal with things. Loved the list! I will be on the lookout to see how things work out for you guys. If anyone can even tackle half the things on the list- it is you! Full of energy and courage! Go Omi!