CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 18, 2008

Hittin' the Sauce


In preparation for our cross country move, I recently gave most of my canning jars away to friends from church here in Ann Arbor. Since then, several people have asked me how I do my applesauce. I find this slightly hysterical, since I am not Super Canner or anything, I just wanted to find a way to use all those yummy Michigan apples. My method came about when someone told me how to make applesauce as follows: "Well, you just cook 'em down!"

I've got my way of doing it, which is not how a "real" canning expert does it. Most people use a Victorio (sp?) strainer. They cut the apples roughly, cook them for a few minutes, and run them through the strainer, which removes all peels and seeds. Then, they add enough sugar to make it taste right and spices if desired. It's very easy and quick. My way requires no special equipment (just a stew pot or crock pot or both) but it takes all weekend! I sometimes do it during conference. But, I've done it both ways and mine makes tastier applesauce in my opinion. I buy a box of "mixed seconds" which means that they pick up the apples that fall on the ground and they mix all different kinds. I like this because the flavors are tart, sweet, tangy, etc. The apples are really good, too, even though they aren't always perfect. I like Wiard's orchard and Plymouth orchard for apples, but I don't think I've ever had a Michigan apple I didn't like. Then I quarter, peel and seed the apples with a pairing knife, though I keep meaning to spring for a corer-peeler-slicer that will do this job for me. That's the labor intensive part. Then, I put them all in a pot or crock pot and heat them on medium low uncovered for maybe four or five hours with just a couple of inches of water. This is why I think the flavor is so intense with this method. The apples cook down the flavor concentrates. I have sometimes added cinnamon, but I have never added sugar when I cook them this way, because they become so sweet as they cook. Then I put them in jars and "process" them, which you probably know means boiling them in a water bath for 20 minutes to seal them.

That's it! Like I said, I've done it both ways and the results are amazing, whichever way you choose. You'll never buy applesauce again!

6 comments:

AngiDe said...

Hey Naomi! I found you on RicAnns blog and thought I'd drop in and say heeeeeyyyyyy!!!

Boy said...

That sounds delicious, I guess I know where we fall on your friends list. Never having tasted your great applesauce and now only getting to dream about it.

Have fun with the rest of your move preparations.

Ryan B.

Byron said...

Wow, sounds like you've got the hang of it, but I know I would botch it somewhere along the way. Someday...

Hope the move is on schedule. Good luck.

Mandy said...

I can't wait to try it! You are so amazing, how do you do it all?

Renaissance Woman said...

Hey there Naomi! It's Janet, the new girl from A2. Need any more boxes? We got a basement full still!

Love the blog. I so want to learn how to can more than jelly. I'm now inspired! (I read the blog about the melted cookery in the oven...don't feel bad about it. I make those kinds of mistakes a lot. A couple weeks ago I even managed to set a spatula on fire. Oops!)

Bennett Family said...

I love your applesauce. I am way to lazy to make it though. You always make the most delicious food. My favorite is your popcorn.