CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Wouldn't you know it?

Many of you know that we are preparing to move from Ann Arbor, Michigan, to San Diego, California. As part of these preparations, we have to rent out our house here, since the housing market here is such a disaster. We listed the house and got a great response. We have had showings every day and I am so grateful. However, I find it a bit challenging keeping the house perfectly clean all the time just in case someone stops by to see it. Well, it happened this evening: someone was wanting to come by and I had only 15 minutes to prepare to amaze and impress them with my immaculate house. No problem. There were some dishes in the sink, the dishwasher was full of clean dishes because I had just run it (four hours before, maybe seven) so I threw them on a cookie sheet and tossed them in the oven with the granola I had made earlier but not yet put into containers. Of course it happened that tonight, several hours after "cleaning" the kitchen and promptly forgetting the stuff in the oven, I preheated the oven to finish baking a batch of cookies I had started for our little preschool group (many things are only half done around here). You guessed it: sippy cups melted and exploding, baby spoons bent and plastic storage containers oozing. To top it off, my sister Deb called while I was cleaning up the mess, so I was able to tell her that my destruction of kitchen appliances extended way beyond melting the bread bag to her toasters and starting her dish towels on fire all through college. I hope it made her feel better. Deb, you really should start a registry at Williams Sonoma for me to replace all the kitchen stuff I've ruined for you over the years.
You can't see me, but I'm inside scraping the plastic off the oven.

5 comments:

Bennett Family said...

Poor Naomi!!! You forgot to mention that your a single mom at the moment too while Dirk is studying for the bar. Wish I was there to take your kids.

RicAnn said...

Sounds like quite the day! I am sorry :( I am even more sad that we aren't going to see you guys before you make the big move!! We'll for sure have to keep in touch!

Byron said...

I didn't know you had a blog! And I am so glad because I love Naomi stories just like this one!! It's the best! (Ok, the worst, but it makes me smile that others do crazy things like me.) So glad I know we can keep track of you when you are off in the luxury of CA!

Mandy said...

Naomi,
I just posted a long comment but something happened and my connection was lost! I am so sorry about the stuff in your oven but I was secretly laughing cause I do stuff like that all the time! Love your blog by the way!

Wilson Family said...

Hi Naomi! I love it that you have a blog too ;) I'm sorry about your oven. It sounds something I would do and worse! I hope you're doing great. Let's get together again soon!