CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Yes on Prop 8

I haven't received a calling yet at our new ward in San Diego. I have, however, received an assignment to call or walk for the Proposition 8 campaign. Here's the deal with voting YES on Proposition 8: It doesn't take any rights or benefits from gay or lesbian domestic partners. These people have all the "same rights, protections and benefits" as married spouses, according to California law. The difference is, their unions would not be called marriages. Why is this important? Because, if Prop 8 does not pass, then teachers in public schools could be required to teach that same sex marriage is the same as traditional marriage; that there is no difference in families that are raised by two fathers or two mothers and families that are raised by a mother and a father. I have called voter registration lists (though not nearly as much as I should; I am way behind) about this issue because I believe that marriage is sacred, and that it should not be redefined for me into something that it doesn't mean to me. And, because I believe, as our Proclamation on the Family states, that "The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ." Because of all this, I have been talking about this campaign, even though it terrifies me, and requires me to overcome a whole lot of nerves to do it. And it isn't fun.

A couple of weeks ago, a man stood up during a Sunday School lesson about this issue. He was a former member of the stake presidency, but asked that his comments be taken as his own, and not as a leader in the church. He emotionally shared an experience his son had had while at college in Utah, where he had witnessed some "Christians" speaking very disparagingly about a gay couple that walked by. His point was that if we want to spread Christianity, that we should be Christians ourselves. He talked about how important it is to love and follow our prophet, who has asked us to do all we can on this issue, while loving ALL our brothers and sisters.

I was moved by his short speech; even more so when I learned later that his son identifies himself as a homosexual and is working through all the issues that come with that. I don't know any of the details, but I do know that their emotional family journey has been marked by loyalty and love for each other.

I don't understand why so many people struggle with this issue. I feel love for them, and hope that they can make a life for themselves that makes sense to them and their God. At the same time, I truly believe that our social structure depends on traditional families, and children being raised by a mother and father, wherever possible. I know that there are all kinds of situations where that is impossible. But, I believe it is ideal nevertheless.

3 comments:

HIJK Skousen said...

Your cute cute family! We miss you guys so much!! You better keep posting your amazing recipes, because I will try them all. I bought a sweet potato the other day and I was thinking of you! Love ya!

John said...

Wow, this is a hard subject to address. You are brave to live in California with the same sex marriage issue raging at this time. If I understand correctly, there is another bill on the Govenors desk which would promote even more homosexual, bisexual, and transsexual indoctrination upon children as young as kindergarten. AB 2567 would designate every May 22 as 'Harvey Milk Day' in California's government school system. Harvey Milk was a homosexual activist who was a San Francisco supervisor until he was killed in 1978. Milk championed homosexual experimentation,
sexual activism, and the abolishment of sexual boundaries. He also regarded organized religion as dangerous.
I am so glad that there are people like you who are willing to use your voice in the fight against it, that takes guts; is there a way that I could get involved or do you have to live in CA? I feel sad for the former stake presidents son; I can't think of a more difficult trial to have and esspecially in a mormon community, my heart goes out to those who struggle with it. My cousin has a son who is trans gender (thinks he is a girl) and I have a friend who's brother is gay and who's whole family has left the church because he was excommunicated for it and have joined the voices speaking out against the church on the issue. Although I believe that those who struggle with same sex attraction should be treated with love and respect, I do not think it is right that the lifesyle has become so accepted, celebrated and mainstream in our society. At one time it was in the phycology books as a "disorder" and "IT" (not the people) should be treated as such and struggled and faught against. I love Elder Oaks take on the issue which you can read about on the church web site www.lds.org in the news room under same-gender attraction.
On a lighter note you are looking extra thin and pretty in your latest pictures. I look forward to a year from now when my baby weight has fallen off too.
Love,
Janette

Krista Cook said...

Naomi,

So good to see a glimpse of your family. We will be in San Diego in about a month. We'll keep you posted, and hope to see you then!