CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Project of My Own

Did anyone ever watch The Gilmore Girls? Ah . . . I loved that show. Except the last season. Anyway, remember Paris, and how she had a craft table set up in her college apartment because crafting was prescribed by her therapist after her nervous breakdown? I think I'm turning into Paris. Not really the character I would like most to identify with, but I cannot argue with the evidence.

Yesterday was the first day after a long Thanksgiving break and with all the running around and disheveled house, demanding children, etc., I thought my hair was going to melt. Dirk swears that the kids can sense when I'm stressed and dial up the drama in response. In any case, I was ready to start selling children on craigslist. Then Dirk brings up Family Night, and could I please think up something fun. What?! How about me, locked in our bathroom in the tub with music and candles and the rest of you cleaning up the house? That sounded like fun. When he saw how stressed I was, he suggested we go out for ice cream, but drop me someplace on the way and pick me up after. So, I went to JoAnn and Michael's (conveniently right next door to each other) in Poway while Dirk and children went to Costco for ice cream.

I saw this project somewhere a long time ago:



We have a closet under the stairs where it would go perfectly as a puppet theatre or a store front. The kids are always pretending to sell each other toys out of that closet, so I think they will love it.

Just buying the supplies and choosing the fabrics made me feel happy and in love with my family again. I cannot explain it, since I've never really been crafty. I couldn't really justify the cost during this Christmas season of many other expenditures, but it's cheaper than therapy. Or alcoholism. I'll post pictures when I finish!

7 comments:

Christina said...

I'm excited to see it when it's done, cute idea. I've seen something similar where they hang it on a adjustable curtain rod so you don't have to use any nails or anything and it's removable. Also, I agree about the therapy part, that's the main reason I do crafts and scrapbooking also.

Naomi said...

Yes, that's my plan. I bought a cheap white tension rod and I think it'll do the trick nicely.

Happy-Hardings said...

I can so relate, I would like to be locked in the bathroom in the tub for hours.

Amber said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I have so many of these days lately. Crafts are not my outlet of choice, but you've got to find your own bliss, right? Kudos to Dirk for taking the kiddos.

heather said...

It is so great being able to catch up with you. Your children are adorable. Good luck with the crafty things. I wish I had more time (and creativity).

keri said...

I loved Gilmore Girls and I have to admit I have a craft table of my own. Good luck with your project! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Kerolann said...

loved the GG. I cant wait to see your project. You need to email me and tell me where you are living. Josh's family live near Poway, you should be friends with his sisters and thier kids. miss you!