CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 12, 2009

Christmas Break

We had a special treat for Christmas this year: Dirk's brother's family came to visit for several days from Utah. They arrived on Christmas Eve and shared a huge dinner with us of which I have no pictures, but I have witnesses that we ate the tastiest, juiciest turkey I have ever made, if I do say so. Dirk also smoked a turkey, but it was more of a 10 pm snack, since smoking takes a long yet unspecified amount of time. It was also amazing. You can find the recipe I used here. Dirk's is mysterious and I wouldn't even attempt to give a recipe. But it was fabulous and a good reason for you to come and visit us. Then we had pie and those who were not on Santa duty went off to bed.

Christmas morning was predictably wonderful with a houseful of children. Then, the next few days were filled with such unspeakable luxuries as a movie/dinner night out for the adults, a Thai lunch out for Shannon and me, hours of wonderful conversation, and morning 'til night Wii tourneys for the kids. One of my favorites was going to see the tide pools in La Jolla. On our way home from La Jolla, we stopped to watch the hang gliders and other flying things while we ate our lunch. Some of those crazy kids actually went swimming one day, too, even though to most of us it was COLD. They had the Del Mar beach all to themselves.

They left too soon and we wish they would come back.












2 comments:

Amy E. said...

Sounds wonderful! I think you must've come from cold weather to even think of swimming in the Pacific this time of year. I rarely do it in the summer! :) We hope to see you sometime soon. I think Rob has a triathlon in San Diego sometime soon. I'll try to get with you soon and possibly get together!

Amber said...

It looks like a fantastic time. Beautiful memories.