CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 21, 2009

First Trip to the Dentist

I am ashamed of myself, but until now, my children had never been to a dentist. Considering I was ten or eleven before I ever went, and Ox is only five, I wasn't feeling totally irresponsible. I think I have been worried about the logistics of a visit, insofar as I have worried about it at all. I took Baby in for his two-year appointment and the doctor suggested taking him in to get him used to the experience and to get a fluoride treatment to protect against cavities. Seemed like a good idea to me, too, and as I was exiting our doctor's office, I beheld a pediatric dentist right across the hall. Imagine! It seemed like a sign, so I walked right in and made the appointment.

Turns out, those hygienists really knock themselves out trying to help your children have a good time, all things considered. It was sort of like a birthday party, with favors and balloons and everything. I think the key is to go to someone who specializes in children's teeth. The dentist was surprised that Ox's mouth was so mature, but I told him he had his first two teeth come in at five weeks and then he understood. Also, it turns out both boys have at some point broken their roots above their front top teeth and therefore will probably lose those before the front bottoms as is usual. He asked me if they had had any big falls in their lives that might have caused this and I asked him if he was joking. Anyway, everyone is perfect, no cavities, and looking forward to December, when we get to go again.



2 comments:

Happy-Hardings said...

The dentist seems a lot more fun than when I was little. Your kids are adorable and that picture of you in the tube with your sleeping baby is priceless. You are so beautiful.

Mandy said...

Love all the posts! So cute about the dentist- Cade loves to go and get toys! Keep in touch, wondering how Vegas is treatin' ya! Love ya!