CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Science Guy

Ox says he wants to be a scientist and an artist (in the evenings) when he grows up. He is always asking to do science experiments. My friend Tiffany loaned us this very cool book . . . great pictures and clear explanations for people like me who would otherwise explain many scientific concepts with a thoughtful pause and, "It's magic!"

In this first one, we made a diver out of a piece of aluminum, a paper clip, some plastitack and a bendy straw (aren't we just like MacGyver?), then put him in a bottle of water. When you squeeze the bottle, the diver magically drops to the bottom of the bottle. Fascinating. I forget why. Magic, I guess.




Then, we did another one where we made bubbles with homemade solution and bubble wands, made out of coat hangers and string wrapped around. This was a hit with all three kids. I now know that adding glycerin or corn syrup to regular soap relaxes the water's surface tension and makes it more elastic, thereby creating a bubble.


5 comments:

Boy said...

It may be in there somewhere and I am just too dumb to see it but what is the name of this "magic" book and who is the author?

It sounds like Riley and Cami would love it.

Ryan B.

Naomi said...

I don't remember, because I had to give it back, but I will ask my friend for the title. The kids would love it.

Boy said...

That would be great, thanks!

Naomi said...

The name of the book is My Big Science Book by Simon Mugford. Hope your crew enjoys it as much as mine does!

Boy said...

Thanks, you are a jem!