CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

They're so ugly, but they taste so good.


We are sweet potato crazies at our house and this is one of my favorite recipes. I got it from Bobby Flay, except I double the amount of scallions (they are so tasty off the grill), halve the mustard (I'm not the world's biggest pretentious mustard fan, but it really works here), and skip the parsley (because I usually have forgotten to buy it). I am personally taking on the crusade to educate the world about non-marshmallowed sweet potato options.

Hot Grilled Sweet Potato and Scallion Salad

4 large sweet potatoes, (microwave them for a few seconds first and they don't take so long on the grill) cut into 1/2-inch slices
8 scallions
3/4 cup good olive oil
2 T. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 t. honey
salt and pepper
1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Preheat grill to high. Brush potatoes and scallions with oil and arrange on grill. Grill potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes each side, or until just tender. Grill scallions until softened and marked. Remove scallions from the grill and cut into slices (this requires a REALLY sharp knife or else they fall apart).

In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup olive oil, mustard, vinegars, and honey. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add potatoes, scallions, and parsley and toss until potatoes are well coated. Transfer to a platter and serve.

5 comments:

Apron Appeal said...

but the marshmallows are so yummy!

Funny story...about depriving your children of things that other kids eat as a staple...it's too long to write here, so I'll have to call you...Oops, where is your new phone number, address all of it...I have NOTHING! How did that happen?

Gwen

Wilson Family said...

Hey there! I love sweet potatoes. Thanks for posting this recipe; I will have to try it. I'll let you know of our plans when we know. So far, we're waiting to hear back from grad schools. Hope all is well!

Amber said...

I love sweet potatoes!

My favorite recipe:

Sweet Potatoes & Chicken in Apricot Sauce

2-4 med sweet potatoes
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil or butter
1/2 tsp salt

2 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/3 c apricot preserves

2-4 chicken breasts
black pepper
garlic

Basically, I cut the potatoes into wedges, coat them in olive oil and salt, and roast them in the oven on 400. Then I cook the chicken however I like on the stove top seasoning with pepper and garlic. Then I mix the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan on med-high heat and cook it until it bubbles and thickens. Then I lay out the wedges, slap some chicken on top and drizzle with sauce. Yummy! I would imagine most kids would like it. Having extremely picky ones right I wouldn't know.

Mer said...

Hey Naomi--
Yes we are in Henderson.Four boys isn't too bad. I wouldn't know what to do with a girl! Besides Cameron ( Randy's Son) is only with us half of the week so it is not too bad. I am so glad you have a blog, this is much better than facebook. I am loving keeping up on old friends and glad to see you are doing well. What a cute family you have!!!

Janie said...

Hi Naomi,
I almost always over look the sweet potatoes because they are covered in butter and marshmallows. You have ispired me to try this, it sound so good.
San Diego was so fun. I think the reason we could enjoy it so much was that we left all our kids home:) Sister's trips are the best you should start the tradition!