CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Egg and Sausage Casserole

I made this for recent baby shower brunch and it turned out pretty good. Little warning, though: it is Naughty (captial 'N'). Of course, you could tone it way down by using milk instead of half-and-half, egg whites or egg beaters, and turkey sausage. But I figure, heck, a little saturated fat never hurt anybody. Wait a minute.

2 lbs. sausage
1 loaf cubed whole wheat bread (this is how I justify this dish . . . at least it has fiber, right?
1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese (I like Tillamook in the black package)
8 eggs
1 t. dry mustard
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
4 c. half-and-half

Brown the sausage and drain. Break it up onto a 9"x13" casserole dish. Place bread on top of sausage. Mix the rest of the ingredients together, including half the cheese. Pour all over the casserole. Your dish will be very full. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake in the morning for 45 or 50 minutes at 350 or so. Serve piping hot.

2 comments:

Apron Appeal said...

Hey minus the whole wheat bread and this dish is a diabetics DELIGHT (I'd use heavy cream v. 1/2 and 1/2 though).

Hey if you ever need a really GOOD white bread recipe. I found one. It's nothing like whole wheat, but every once and a while my kids want white (and so do I) With trisha's milk and egg allergy it's hard to find a bread she can eat...this recipe has no milk & no eggs (so it's handy on cost too). have a pancake recipe that falls under the same parameters (they are a little different, but it's been so long since my kids have had bisquick, they can't even remember the old style.

The Jayroes said...

It was so yummy! Thanks for sharing. :)